Thursday, June 20, 2013

Things I Learned Last Weekend

One of the CAWP co-directors shared this poem with us earlier this week, and I immediately became enamoured of it. (On a completely unrelated note, what does it say about me that every time I use the word enamoured, my brain insists on using the British spelling of it?)

One of the things that I am most excited about for teaching a new course this year is the opportunity to use much, much more poetry than I have in the past, teaching AP Lang. I am excited to use this one as a model with my students.

Things I Learned Last Week
by William Stafford

Ants, when they meet each other,
usually pass on the right.

Sometimes you can open a sticky
door with your elbow.

A man in Boston has dedicated himself
to telling about injustice.
For three thousand dollars he will
come to your town and tell you about it.

Schopenhauer was a pessimist but
he played the flute.

Yeats, Pound, and Eliot saw art as
growing from other art. They studied that.

If I ever die, I'd like it to be
in the evening. That way, I'll have
all the dark to go with me, and no one
will see how I begin to hobble along.

In the Pentagon one person's job is to
take pins out of town, hills, and fields,
and then save the pins for later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Things I Learned Last Weekend (in St. Louis)

There really is a difference
between freeways
and highways,
and that difference is
stoplights.

The sentiment,
"At least it's a dry heat"
is annoying,
but accurate.
Humidity sucks.

Monet's Waterlilies is
WAY larger in real life
than it looks
on other people's bathroom walls.

Shakespeare in the Park
on a summer night in open air
is exactly as wonderful as
I always dreamed it would be.

There are many people in this country
who think of any place
west of the Mississippi River
to be
West,
even though I had to fly
hours east
to get there.
It is mind-boggling.

2 comments:

  1. so jealous about Shakespeare in the park! It sounds lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the comment about Monet. When you see the real thing it is so much more than the poster version.
    Glad you're learning and sharing, Ashley.

    ReplyDelete

I Am Not Your Momma

Inspired by the poem "I Am Not a Taco" by Santino J. Rivera and my amazing colleague/friend Mr. Steven Arenas! [You can read about...