Friday, November 22, 2013

YA Lit Review: The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)The Maze Runner by James Dashner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In The Maze Runner, Thomas finds himself trapped in an enormous maze with dozens of other boys and none of his memories of his pre-maze life except his name. It is an interesting premise, and I like how the author shows the little society the boys have created for themselves inside The Glade, complete with government, economy, and their own slang. I would imagine this would be a pretty good book for boys, but it does skew more middle school than high school, I think. The monsters in the maze (Grievers) are too fantastical to be truly frightening; the really terrifying question is why the boys are there in the first place and what ending of the book reveals about the truth of their circumstances. I am curious to see where Dashner takes this story in the next book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Am Not Your Momma

Inspired by the poem "I Am Not a Taco" by Santino J. Rivera and my amazing colleague/friend Mr. Steven Arenas! [You can read about...